After ceding Acadia to England under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, France established new settlements on Île Royale (Cape Breton Island), which remained French: Port-Dauphin, Louisbourg and Port-Toulouse. In 1716, the Récollets, sent by the royal administration to serve in the new chapels of these three settlements requested various liturgical and decorative items necessary for conducting religious services.

The Chapels on Île Royale
Statement of what is absolutely necessary for the King's chapels in Port-Dauphin, Louisbourg and Port-Toulouse, by Father Bruneau, Superior of the Récollets for the province of Brittany, ca. 1716
FR CAOM COL C11A 106 fol. 485-486