In the 18th century, missionaries concentrated their efforts in the St. Lawrence Valley, where they attempted to induce the Aboriginal inhabitants to adopt a sedentary way of life. What was known as the mission of the sauvages du Sault [savages of the Rapids], previously on the Island of Montréal, was transferred, at the request of the Sulpicians, to an area northwest of Lac des Deux Montagnes. The land was granted by the Intendant and the Governor General in 1717 on the condition that the mission be established at the expense of the religious community and that they build a church and fort made of stone. The goal was not just to convert the Aboriginal peoples (the Algonquin, the Nipissing, and the Iroquois), but also to protect the Island of Montréal from Iroquois incursions.

The Missions
Plan du fort et de la mission du lac des Deux Montagnes [Plan of the fort and the Lac des Deux Montagnes Mission], 18th century
FR CAOM COL F3 290 no 73