The officer Pierre de Saurel arrived in the colony in 1665 with the Carignan-Salières Regiment—troops dispatched from France meant to contain the Iroquois threat. He was immediately sent with his men to rebuild and command Fort Richelieu (soon after named Sorel) where the Iroquois (Richelieu) River flows into the St. Lawrence River. When the regiment was discharged in 1668, he married and settled on a tract of land he was granted in 1672 for "services rendered to His Majesty." Saurel then devoted himself to developing his seigneury. In 1682, shortly before his death, it included a manor, a communal mill, a well-developed property and more than 25 censives [land parcels]. However, his widow, harassed by her late husband's principal creditor, had to put the seigneury up for auction. Claude de Ramezay, Governor of Montréal, purchased it in 1713 for 9,200 livres. The fief's new holder made his land prosperous: in the aveu et dénombrement [inventory] of 1724, the year Ramezay died, the seigneury included 80 censives. In 1764, the seigneury of Sorel was sold for 24,000 livres to an English merchant from Québec, John Bondfield.

The Seigneury of Sorel
Concession from Intendant Jean Talon to Pierre de Saurel, October 29, 1672 (copy, January 14, 1774)
CA ANC MG18-H54 2 p. 483-490